Saturday, September 22, 2007

Day 5 - Sebadoh - Brand New Love

I was trying to go by calendar days with this, but I guess that didn't work. So we're going to count the time in between sleep as a day, and say I still made it on time. I couldn't find a video for this one. Eh...whatever. I guess I mainly thought of this because Ross Durand mentioned something about Dinosaur Jr. today. In any case, it's a great song. It's not necessarily a good performance or recording. There's not much to like here other than the songwriting. The lyrics are kind of a jumbly, confusing, cryptic mess...not the kind I'd use in a song. The chorus is loud and clippy and awful. When the drums come in at the beginning, it's at a different tempo than the guitar, and the guitar has to slow down to match it. The drums also seem to be helping ruin the chorus. The ending...wow, they really pile on the noise. But there's a certain beauty to it. Lou Barlow obviously knows what's he doing, and I wouldn't want to mess with that. Harmonically, it's so simple, but I'm finding that simplicity is what really catches your ear. In any case, this is a good piece to know if you want any indie cred. It's been covered by both Deadsy and Death Cab for Cutie, and the Deadsy cover is actually the first version of this song I heard. It's undoubtedly shinier and nicer-sounding, but maybe that's not the point. My research on this artist initially disappointed and upset me, when I found out that Sebadoh was a pioneer in the "lo-fi genre." I was previously under the impression that when somebody called my stuff lo-fi, it meant either a. I'm and idiot and don't know how to mix, or b. I can't afford nice equipment. Yeah, no. I guess it's a style of music. Which, you know, it's a style I'm totally comfortable working in. But I'll be damned if it doesn't feel like cheating. Eh, but you know. It's art. It's best not to mess with it. I like this, and that's all that counts here. Both of the other versions might be bettter on several counts, but I figure the other two groups have enough other songs I like, and this one doesn't have many that I know. Although I have a suspicion that by the time I get all 10,000 listed, those two other tracks will end up here, too.

No comments: